AERD Awareness Day 2019 - Ways to Get Involved
Updated: Sep 5, 2021
Aspirin Exacerbated Respiratory Disease Awareness Day is September, 26th 2019. This year's theme is "Living Well with AERD." Our goals are to raise awareness of AERD both within the general public and the medical community, as well as to help patients living with the disease find ways to manage it more effectively. Here is a list of ways that you can get involved!
1. Letter to the Editor - Send a letter to the Editor of your local paper or other media outlet about AERD. You can compose your own letter, or start with this template.
2. Make a Donation to Support AERD Research - make a donation directly to the medical centers that are dedicated to researching AERD. You can use the links on this page to donate directly to The Brigham & Women's AERD Center, The Penn Medicine AERD Center, or Scripps AERD Clinic.
3. Follow Samter's Society on Facebook, Twitter, You Tube, and Instagram. We have patient videos and new resources that will be shared through social media. Take part in the social media campaign! We have a list of social media messaging ideas that anyone can use.
4. Wear your AERD Awareness Day shirt! Share a picture of yourself wearing it on social media. You can also use a profile photo like this one to help raise awareness.
5. Share your own AERD story with your friends and family on social media. Post your AERD story on Facebook, write a blog, or share a video on You Tube about your experience. Sharing your story is a simple yet powerful way to raise awareness. Here is an example of excellent blog post written by one patient for last year's awareness day:
Have You Ever Had a Cold and it Never Went Away?
6. Distribute printable resources! You can distribute these helpful handouts at local medical offices. Most patients are not provided with any informational handouts when they are diagnosed with AERD because most physicians do not have such materials available. They may also help educate medical providers on the disease!